- without external gills (tadpole)
- eyes not prominent
- Underside black to grey, hardly visible matallic spots are possible
- if larvae bigger than 4-5mm grey spot on throat (arrow on picture)
- Total length:
up to about 23 mm (small!)
- Sometimes the grey spot on the throat, distinct for Natterjack
larvae – even if it is often not very prominent – appears already
at 4 mm body width, but also often not before the limb buds of hind
legs are visible.
- Then also a light dorsal stripe is becoming visible soon.
Crapaud calamite (F); Rugstreeppad (NL); Strandpadda (S); Strandtudse
(DK); Ropucha krátkonohá (CZ)
(D = dorsal, back; V = ventral, underside)
- This larva is the smallest one out of the native tadpoles (excluding
runt forms of e.g. Common toad).
- Metamorphosis from 15 mm length.