- no external gills (tadpole)
- eyes not prominent
- Undeside unspotted, not golden
- tail fin not reticulated
- belly with light central stripe (picture, right above)
- Total length: up to about 67 mm
- The nearly always prominent, bright, longitudinal stripe is typical
in the tadpoles. To discern from e.g. fire-bellied toads: upper
crest extends onto the end of the trunk only and lacks the reticulated
Spring larvae metamorphose often in the same year, especially in
shallow and warm water. All other larvae hibernate!
Alyte accoucheur (F); Vroedmeesterpad (NL); Barnmorskegroda (S);
Fødselshjælperfrø (DK); ----- (CZ).
(D = dorsal, back; V = ventral, underside)